Has your dentist ever told you that you have a cavity? Cavities are a result of tooth decay and affect both your tooth enamel and the layer beneath it called the dentin. When the bacteria naturally found inside the mouth reacts with carbohydrates in the foods that you eat, an acid forms turns into plaque, which forms an acidic film on your tooth that breaks down the enamel and can lead to tooth decay. If the acids found in the plaque erode enough of the tooth to cause a hole, a cavity has formed.
- Tooth pain without clear cause
- Tooth sensitivity
- Holes or pitting in your teeth
- Pain when biting or eating
Cavities cause permanent damage to the affected tooth and must be taken care of in order to prevent the loss of your natural tooth. However, this does not mean that the cavity can be treated.
- Fillings: A filling is traditionally made from composite resins, porcelain, or other materials that are used to close off the decayed hole and prevent further damage at the early stages of decay. Your dentist at Maintain Your Smile Dental will remove the decayed tooth material before filling your cavity.
- Crowns: A crown is a cover that replaces your natural crown and is made of porcelain, composite resin materials, gold, or other materials. Crowns are needed for more advanced tooth decay. Your dentist will drill away the decayed area of your tooth to properly fit the crown to your tooth.
- Root canals: During a root canal, the pulp of your tooth will be removed and an Endodontist will carefully clean and disinfect the inside of your tooth. After your tooth has been disinfected, it will be sealed up with a rubber-like material. Once this is complete, your endodontist will restore your tooth with a crown or filling.
- Tooth extraction: If your tooth is too badly decayed to be saved with a root canal, the tooth will need to be extracted. Since this can leave a large open space, you will need to consider a bridge or dental implant to replace the tooth that has been extracted.
Preventing a cavity:
Daily brushing and flossing will help prevent the long-term build-up of plaque that will harden and turn into tartar. By removing the bacteria and build-up of acids that break down your tooth enamel, cavities and tooth decay are less likely to develop.
Our dentists at Maintain Your Smile Dental are devoted to providing you with high-quality dental care that is personalized for your needs. One of our dentists will closely examine your teeth to ensure that any cavities or tartar build up is removed and sealed to prevent further damage to your natural teeth. Your oral health is our priority!
If you believe you may have a cavity, don’t wait any longer. Call our office to schedule your appointment!