Halitosis, or chronic bad breath, is something many people suffer from. Generally originating from the gums or tongue, bad breath is caused by bacteria, decaying food, and other debris that is left in the mouth. While everyone experiences “morning breath,” halitosis can be a symptom of a larger issue.
Our dentists at Maintain Your Smile Dental are experienced in diagnosing and treating halitosis and the dental issues that cause it. We understand how uncomfortable it can be to suffer from halitosis, and we are committed to putting your oral health first so that you can live your best life.
Causes of halitosis:
- Infections: infections that cause post-nasal drip may be a cause of chronic bad breath because the bacteria feeds on the mucus that is produced when you are sick.
- Chronic conditions: diabetes and conditions like kidney, liver, or gastrointestinal issues can cause halitosis.
- Dry mouth: saliva helps remove and break down food particles in your mouth, and if your body isn’t producing enough, it can cause cavities, infections, and halitosis. (link to “dry mouth” page)
- Dental infections: cavities and gum disease can cause halitosis because of the extra bacteria in your mouth that is difficult to remove.
- Tobacco: smoking leaves odors in your mouth, but it can also cause dry mouth. Tobacco users are also more likely to develop gum disease.
If you are experiencing halitosis, one of our highly trained dentists at Maintain Your Smile Dental can help figure out the root cause. By either confirming or eliminating dental infections as the cause of your halitosis, your dentist will work closely with you to develop a comprehensive personalized treatment plan aimed treating the cause of your halitosis cause.
If your halitosis is caused by a dental issue like cavities or gum disease, your dentist will be able to treat those underlying issues. At Maintain Your Smile Dental, your oral health is our top priority. We will work closely with you to ensure that all of your dental goals are being met and that you receive the high-quality personalized care that you deserve.
If you are suffering from chronic bad breath, don’t wait to get help. Call our office today to schedule your appointment!